As you shift your onboarding and training program to being remote, be sure to think through health and safety considerations. Establish clear expectations, structures, and relationships. Seek relevant development workshops for both you and your students.
The Hiring Students Toolkit helped me be more confident and effective working remotely with student staff this summer and helped them feel more engaged and connected to our office. With these resources and workshops, I’m looking forward to hiring a new student to support our office this fall
— Kevin Collins, Student Development Coordinator, Student Experience Office
Checklist and Tipsheets for Onboarding Remotely
- Start with the onboarding section of the Supervising Remotely Checklist
- Manager Guidelines for Working Remotely (Human Resources)
- Onboarding Remotely Tipsheet (PDF, 169 kB) (CEWIL Canada)
- Supervising Remotely Tipsheet (PDF, 144 kB) (CEWIL Canada)
- Home Office Safety standard operating procedure (SOP) & checklist (Environmental Health & Safety)
- Students Employed by Queen’s: How to Manage Email and Other Records (Records Management and Privacy Office)
Onboarding Workshops for Students
This suite of onboarding workshops for students will be offered in September and October. Students can register for workshops through MyCareer and, for Lead, Include, Transform only, the Human Rights and Equity Office.
(Note to students: This training is for student roles on campus, any student can take it, but if you’re supervised by a Queen’s faculty, staff, or student, speak with your supervisor about whether it’s a required part of your role.)
|Welcome Aboard! (90 min): working remotely, professionalism, setting
skill development goals with the EL WrapAround Reflection Form
*we recommend this for all incoming student staff*. Register on MyCareer.
10:30 AM – noon, Monday, Jan 11, 2021
3:00 PM – 4:30 PM, Monday, Jan 18, 2021
|Professional Communication in the Workplace (60 min): an introduction to professional communication, including choosing appropriate form of communication,
sending/responding to emails, using the Outlook calendar, scheduling
meetings. Register on MyCareer.
3:30 PM – 4:30 PM, Thursday, Jan 14, 2021
10:00 AM – 11:00, Friday, Jan 22, 2021
|Workshop Title||Summer 2021|
Working Remotely (1 hour)
Are you a student working remotely? If your role will now be remote, how do you set yourself up for success? How do you work effectively from a distance? Come explore strategies and reflect with other students, and get great tips for working remotely. You’ll leave with a personal action plan to help tackle your new role with confidence
Monday May 3, 1 pm - 2 pm
Wednesday May 5, 3 pm - 4 pm
Monday May 10, 10am - 11 am
Thursday May 13, 3:30 pm - 4:30
Additional training opportunities:
- Intercultural Awareness: offered by QUIC and Four Directions
- Land Acknowledgements: offered by the Office of Indigenous Initiatives
- Indigenous Cultural Safety: offered by Four Directions
- Positive Space: offered by the Human Rights and Equity Office
- From Diversity to Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate: offered by the Human Rights and Equity Office
- For more trainings, visit the HR Learning Catalogue and Student Wellness Services
Experiential Learning WrapAround Workshops for Students
Students can register for workshops through MyCareer
|Students Leaders - Strategies for Supervising Peers (60 min): Great student
leaders know how to supervise, lead and coach others. Attend this session to
explore coaching theory and how to navigate the unique relationships that
you will navigate as a student in a leadership or supervisory role to other
students. Register on MyCareer.
1:00 - 2:00 PM, Thursday, Jan 27, 2021
*Note: Dates may be added or removed based on high or low registration.
If you are ready to supervise a student, visit Step 4: Supervise a Student for some checklists and tips!