Many graduating students are not heading directly into jobs, but are exploring attending a next education program, or want to take a bit of a break between career endeavors. Here are some resources as you explore your options and strategize for applications.
Search for further education programs
- Career Cruising (email firstname.lastname@example.org for login and password info) – Explore program options with the database of Canadian postsecondary education programs. You can search by school subjects, career clusters or keywords. Profiles will provide information on the role of education and specific credentials when pursuing that career, as well as links to relevant programs in Canada. Workshops Grad 1 – Thinking of Further Education & Grad 2 – Writing Personal Statements these workshops help you to efficiently research education programs that relate to your career goals, and write an effective personal or research statement.
- Grad Maps: See what graduate programs Queen’s has to offer
- Tipsheets: Applying to grad schools and programs
Stand out in your program application documents
- Career Consultation Appointment: We review personal statements and research statements. Bring a draft!
- Resume/Cover Letter Review Appointments: Some educational programs require resumes, CVs and/or letters as part of the application program
- Workshops: Resume, Cover Letter, Interviews 1 & 2
- Tipsheets: Resume, Cover Letter, Interviews, Personal Statements
Examples to stand out in application
- Queen’s Best Resumes and Cover Letter Magazine – Strong examples of students in their graduating year can be found!
Request accommodations \ disclose something when applying
- Tipsheets: Disclosure and Accommodation. In these tipsheets, you will learn about why, when, and how to disclose private, personal information and to request accommodations related to a variety of areas including disability, religion, and age.
- Career Consultation Appointment: We provide a safe space to explore how to approach your unique situation.
Career implications of taking a gap year
- Career Consultation Appointment: Connect with a career counsellor to discuss how your efforts in the next year might relate to or impact your career aspirations and establish some next steps.