Help your students become more clear and confident in their skills!
The Queen’s Skills Cards can help students:
- Reflect on the connections between their academics (degree or specific courses) and the skills they have developed
- Activate their learning from for-credit or not-for-credit experiential learning activities
- Prepare to speak with employers or graduate programs
- Gain confidence in telling their unique stories
What are the Skills Cards?
Skills cards are a physical and digital set of 44 cards describing a comprehensive list of skills that students can develop during their studies (both in and outside of classes), and that correlate with skills employers are seeking.
Each card includes a definition of the skill and an example of a student using that skill in the Queen’s context. The skills are organized into 11 categories, and each category contains four cards:
- Growth Mindset
- Engaged Citizenship
- Inclusivity and Intercultural Competence
How can I use the Skills Cards?
The Skills Cards are available as a physical deck of cards, an interactive digital tool, and a PDF. Whichever version students use, they will sort the cards based on their own strengths and preferences, and leave with a summary of their skills assessment. Students can use either of the digital versions on their own, or a Career Counsellor can guide them through using the physical or digital version.
- I want to refer my students to using the Skills Cards themselves: Access the Skills Sorter - then click the “Instructions” and “User Controls” buttons on the left to get started!
- Please note: the Skills Sorter will take a few moments to load. Try refreshing the page if it doesn’t appear after a minute or two.
- For a simpler but less interactive digital version (PDF, 696 KB)
- I want to book a Skills Cards session for a group I teach, advise, or coach: Request a Career Counsellor to facilitate a customized activity for your students.
- I want to learn more about facilitating Skills Cards activities: Access the Queen's Skills Cards Facilitator Guide (PDF, 1.9 MB). Email the Skills Cards team with any questions you may have about using the tool and/or guide to help your students identify and articulate their skills.